Aug 23-30, 2019: Esalen Institute | Big Sur, California
7-Day Residential Retreat
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a powerful therapeutic method for healing trauma-based problems. Shedding new light on trauma survival — including sexual and physical abuse, accident and surgical trauma, and grief — EMDR is opening doors of the heart to genuine spiritual transformation.
This course is limited to mental-health professionals who are licensed to provide treatment. Through lecture, hands-on practice, and demonstrations, participants will be shown:
- Protocols and procedures for using EMDR with a wide range of diagnostic categories
- Client selection criteria and cautions necessary for safe use of EMDR
- Techniques for working with blocked processing and abreactions (catharsis)
- How to unblock blocked processing
- Methods for working with dissociation
- How to use EMDR with adults traumatized as children
- Methods for developing inner resources used for interweaves, ego strengthening, and client closure
This course is approved by the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA). In accordance with EMDRIA standards, participants wishing to complete the requirements for EMDR Basic Training must must complete Parts 1 and 2, receive ten hours of consultation from an EMDRIA-approved consultant from the Parnell Institute for EMDR faculty, then take Parnell Institute’s EMDR Basic Training Part 3. All three parts must be completed within two years.
Required reading: Parnell, L., A Therapist’s Guide to EMDR: Tools and Techniques for Successful Treatment. Shapiro, F., Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
Recommended reading: Parnell, L., Attachment-focused EMDR: Healing Relational Trauma and Tapping In: A Step-by-step Guide to Activating Your Healing Resources through Bilateral Stimulation.
Tuition: $935 USD
Materials fee: $25 USD
CE credits for psychologists, MFTs, LCSWs, and nurses are included in the tuition.
Please note the following before registering:
Please note the following before registering:
1. Accommodations and facilities at Esalen must be paid for separately after registering for the training. All attendees of this program must pay an accommodations/facilities fee to Esalen, even if staying off-site. For details and costs, see Esalen Partner Program Pricing.
2. To register for this training, you must have an active license, certification, or the equivalent, to practice as a mental health professional per the guidelines of your state, province, or country. Interns are not eligible to participate. After completing your registration on this page, you will be asked to submit licensure documentation. Once licensure documentation is approved, you will be given a password to secure your Esalen accommodations.
Your registration fee for this program minus a $100 processing fee is refundable up to 30 days before the program begins. If you must cancel after that, no refunds are available, but you may send a qualified colleague in your place. This policy applies only to tuition; please contact Esalen for their refund policy for accommodations/facilities fees.
By registering for a training, you acknowledge your understanding that you will be asked to serve as a client in the service of everyone’s learning. You agree that you are psychologically stable enough to take on a client role in this setting, and that you will do what is needed to take care of yourself if any discomfort arises as a result.
You will be required to sign this consent upon when you arrive at the training registration.
I acknowledge that I have been informed of and understand the following:
- During this training, I will be asked to serve as a client, therapist and observer in the service of everyone’s learning. I agree that I am psychologically and physically stable enough to take on these roles in this setting. I recognize that serving as a client may cause emotional distress, and that I will do what is needed to take care of myself if any discomfort arises as a result.
- In order to receive an attendance certificate and/or CEs for this training, I must attend the full training and sign in and out each day.
- If I leave early or do not complete the training, I will not be eligible for a refund.
- Parnell Institute, LLC reserves the right to determine whether I am eligible to continue the training at any stage. Although it happens rarely, the Parnell Institute sometimes determines that a participant is not able to participate fully, has not mastered the material adequately, or is too disruptive to continue. If this were to occur, Parnell Institute would provide an opportunity to improve and return at a later date. However, I understand that this would be done at my own expense.
The grievance policy for trainings provided by the Parnell Institute and Laurel Parnell is available here.